1. As a Homeowner, Can I apply for my own building Permit?

  • Yes, if the home is your primary residence & if you are competent to perform the work and if you meet the owner/builder exemption. You will be required to read, understand, and certify compliance by completing the Owner/Builder Affidavit and Disclosure Statement.                                                                                             
  • WARNING: If you are allowed the exemption, you take all the responsibilities and liabilities as a contractor.

2. Can I start work when I submit a permit application before it is Approved?

  • No. Except in an emergency with the approval of the Building Official. Emergency repairs can be completed prior to the permit approval; however, a building permit is required to be submitted to the Building Division on the next business day.

3. How much time do I have to get the work done once a permit is issued?

  • Permits expire and become null and void if work is not started and an inspection requested within 180 days from the issuance date of the Permit. After such work has commenced, the permit will expire when work is suspended or abandoned for a period of 90 days. Lack of an approved inspection within 90 days will validate the job has been suspended or abandoned. Otherwise, permit will remain in effect until the completion of the job.

4. What do I need in order to apply for a permit?

5. How much does a permit cost?

  • The cost varies based on the permit type and the number of required inspections. Call the Building Services Division at (772) 597-8281 for more information.

6. How do I apply for a permit?

  • Complete the permit application in its entirety, (Incomplete applications will not be accepted.). Submit the application and the associated construction documents, plans and fees by one of the following ways:
    • In Person: Village Hall – Building Division, 15516 SW Osceola St., Suite B, Indiantown, FL. 34956 between hours of 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday.
    • By Mail: Village of Indiantown, P.O. Box 398 Indiantown, FL. 34956.
    • By Email: [at]

7. What are the most important things I should know about hiring a contractor?

  • Is your Contractor Registered with the Village of Indiantown?
  • Does your contractor have a valid State License or Certificate of Competency?
  • Does your contractor have complaints filed against his license?

8. Who is responsible for calling for an inspection when work is ready?

  • The permit holder or his/her agent

9.  What types of things do I need to obtain a building permit for when doing work inside my house?

  • A permit is required to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, remove or demolish any building, structure or part thereof. All new construction work requires a building Permit. All existing construction work, if altered, requires a building Permit.

General maintenance or repair work which does not change the occupancy, and the value of which does not exceed $1,500.00 in labor and materials, may qualify as an exception to the requirement of obtaining a building Permit. The following repair/replacement projects always require a building permit:

  • Water heater change-out
  • A/C change-out
  • Heat pump/heater recovery change-out
  • Tub/shower pan change-out
  • Electrical service change-out/repair
  • All repairs due to a fire, flood, or natural disaster